<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Gmail and the end of spam 


I was able to get a beta account for Google's new Gmail service. I've been using it and it has a ton of great features. One that I'm trying to test out right now is the way that it handles spam. I'm very optimistic about its abilities although I haven't seen it in action. The theory is that someone gets a spam message and they click 'report as spam'. Google scans the message, records the key words, and then sets up a filter that other email has to go through. So when I get the message a little later, google runs the key words through their search engine and if a marked as spam email gets a high score, the email goes directly to my spam folder.

Keep your eyes out for any reports on the success of this model and post them in the comments. If Gmail is successful, email may be moving off of your desktop and pc out onto a web server very quickly.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?